Register for either the livestream or attendance in person by logging in to your membership account. Forgotten your login details?
Those in the PMO (Project Management Office) are often well versed in the field of IT Portfolio Management and the struggles that they face meeting business demand. However, it is a tricky mine field, many technology teams are bombarded with requests, verification of business needs and then the allocation of labour resourced to implement projects.
Resource management is often a common factor affecting the level of work and optimisation within the business, leaving a backlog of work. According to Gartner resource management is cited as one of the biggest struggles being faced within organisations.
Many businesses have many projects within the portfolio matrix, each at a different stage within the delivery pipeline, with employees often being moved from project to project to “fire-fight” wasting precious resources due to task switching and the time it takes to bring a new member up to speed. Companies can longer afford to avoid the need for formal capacity planning at the portfolio level.
What you will learn at this workshop:
- Learn the best approaches to portfolio and resource management that have been implemented
- How investment in tooling can aid the PMO office to better manage their portfolio structure and the importance of getting CIO or senior sponsorship
- Learn how to analyse the staff with the correct appropriate skills and their suitability on a project and develop their growth
- How to make use of data-driven decisions regarding portfolio feasibility and how best to strategize
Arrival and registration
Welcome and introduction
Warmup: What does portfolio and programme management mean to you?
Presentation: Zubair Sajjad, Head of Technology & Change, BAE Systems. Followed by Q&A
Open discussion: Stakeholder management in your organisation
Presentation: Magda Taylor, PMO Manager, Align Technology. Followed by Q&A
Tabletop exercise: What causes programme success or programme failure?
Presentation: Craig Blackford, Programme Manager, John Lewis Partnership. Followed by Q&A
Open discussion: The future of portfolio and programme management
Summarising takeaways from the day and future topics
Craig Blackford | Programme Manager | John Lewis Partnership
Waitrose has recently completed the implementation of a Transport Management Solution across its Partner led distribution centers. Whilst this programme was successful it was not without its problems. Craig will be providing a summary of the key lessons learned from the programme and how these could be applied to other programmes.
Magdalena Taylor | PMO Manager | Align Technology
The human factor in portfolio management
In her presentation, Magdalena will discuss the importance of stakeholder engagement in portfolio planning and project execution; why do people matter in portfolio planning; what happens if you fail to attract and engage your stakeholders; what's the ultimate gain if you do.
Zubair Sajjad | Head of Technology & Change | BAE Systems
In his presentation, Zubair will be covering:
• Value of Portfolio analysis and alignment to business
• Collaborating with engineering, service and PM teams
• Integrating people, process, tools and people
• Exploiting data for Continual Improvement