Browsers & Operating Systems 2011
Internet Explorer (IE) 6 and 7 continue to fall in usage with a noticeable increase in the usage of IE8. Microsoft's newest offering - IE9 - has yet to make an impact.
In April 2011 The Corporate IT Forum conducted a Reality Checker survey to understand the changes businesses are experiencing with Browsers and Operating Systems. 129 respondents from over 70 organisations answered questions on browsers in use, issues with IE8, forced Operating System (OS) upgrades and Windows 7. Contributing organisations represent an annual IT spend of £13 billion and employ over 1.47 million people.
- IE8 increasing in usage: IE9 has yet to make an impact
- 'Security' & 'Tabbed Browsing' popular benefits: a third of respondents state.
- 'Application Integration' a concern: legacy applications trailing behind.
- XP continues to dominate: end of lifecycle now visible.
- Windows 7 deployments growing: 8/10 respondents are making the move.
- Interoperability still a challenge: as more respondents start to deploy Windows 7.
"The Corporate IT Forum is a fantastic level check, free of vendor sell and consultancy hype. I like the open sharing of experience…"
"We get valuable knowledge and experience from members of The Corporate IT Forum. This helps us to make better and informed decisions to reach our business goals…"
"The knowledge from other people on what they are doing/have done is invaluable to my team"
"The workshop validated the marketplace for supplier apps; participants were of a uniformly high standard; personally, I value highly the ethos of the Forum in the fact that it is supplier independent"